Today I took part in a funeral held in honor of a mighty woman of God named Karen Anaya. I didn’t know Karen for long. I couldn’t call her a close friend, but I could call her friend. She was the type that never met a stranger. Karen oozed kindness. She oozed Jesus.
As I sat back and thought about the legacy Karen left, I couldn’t help but become teary eyed thinking about all the lives that she touched. She worked for T.L Osborn, a great evangelist, for 25 years. Essentially, she was his sidekick. I heard it once said that “with every leader, there stands a great ally.” I think Batman might have said that? Like the old Batman from the 1960’s, you know, the one with a slight belly and really tight tights. Makes me shudder just thinking of that image. (bbuuhhrrr)
Anyway, Karen was a great ally. I would have chosen her for my team any day. Like David in the Bible, she had a heart after God. If I asked for prayer, I knew I could count on her to be on her knees praying for me. Even when I didn’t ask for prayer, she was interceding for us. My husband has a text message saved from Karen. It went something like this:
” Hello Jared. I have had you on my heart. I don’t know why but none the less I have been praying for you. Have an awesome weekend. I send my love to Lindsey and Brooklyn too. Many blessings.”
I re-read that text today and it brought tears to my eyes. She had no idea what was on my husbands heart at that time, but she knew to be praying for him. Those prayers couldn’t have come at a better time. She listened to The Lord. She spent time with him. For that, I am so grateful because I know God heard her prayers. I can only pray that I treat people with kindness, love, and pray over them like Karen did. She will be missed.
1. I am thankful for God fearing women to look up to.
2. I am thankful for the talents God has given me to be used by Him today.
3. I am thankful for Karens niece, Tina, who has given of herself without complaint to serve the church. She is moving back to California now. She will be missed too.
4. I am thankful for the kind and uplifting words Tina spoke to me today. She really knows how to bring a little sunshine into someones life.
5. I am thankful for the job that Jared has, even if he has to travel sometimes.
6. I am thankful for the nursery attendants that take good care of my Brooklyn bear.
7. I am thankful that the Rangers won today!! Woohoo!
8. I am thankful for reconnecting with an old friend. No matter how much time goes by that we don’t see each other, it’s like nothing is different. We are still goofy girls with each other.
9. I am thankful for the Lisa Bevere ticket I have. Can’t wait to hear her pour wisdom into lives this wknd.
10. I am thankful for the patience my wonderful husband has for me.
11. I am thankful for the sleepy dog next to me.
12. I am thankful for my little girl who loves to cuddle with me at night.
13. I am thankful for the toys in the bathtub so Brooklyn can have some fun at bath time.
14. I am thankful for the new little red wagon that Papa and Meme bought Brooklyn. We have been wanting one for a long time now.
15. I am thankful for the time my best friends parents served as pastors of their church. They put in a lot of years and I know God will continue to guide and bless them.
16. I am thankful for the cool weather we have had recently.
17. I am thankful for a great VBS that we had at our church. Pastor Jeff and Shannon did a great job.
18. I am thankful for all of the volunteers that helped all week long with VBS. It makes my heart so happy to see our people serve our Lord.
19. I am thankful our Back to School Outreach made a great impact on lives in our community.
20. I am thankful for the great worship music Jared provides to the church and the awesome band he leads.
21. I am thankful that Jared is just as weird as I am. (In secret, of course). God knew what He was doing when He put us together. He knew that my husband would have to be a special brand of special to match my heart.
22. I am thankful for goldfish crackers. I was hungry tonight and ate some while working nursery with Amanda. 🙂
23. I am thankful for beautiful sunsets in Oklahoma. Saw a great one on the way home tonight.
24. I am thankful for water in our river! If you are from around Tulsa, you now what a big deal that is.
25. I am thankful for the hammock in our backyard. It doesn’t get used nearly as much as it should.
26. I am thankful for the loving people at our church who help take care of Brooklyn when I am doing my job.
27. I am thankful for the love that God shows me.
28. I am, once again, thankful for the legacy that Karen left here on earth. We love you, Karen!